- 1 Can you run an alternator with an electric motor?
- 2 How powerful is an alternator motor?
- 3 How do you make an alternator power?
- 4 Can you use an alternator to generate electricity?
- 5 How do you make an electric motor more powerful?
- 6 What is the minimum RPM of a 12v car alternator?
- 7 How much horsepower is required to turn an alternator?
- 8 Does it matter which direction an alternator spins?
- 9 What happens if you spin an alternator backwards?
- 10 How much power can a car alternator produce?
- 11 How much power does a alternator motor produce?
- 12 Do alternators make AC or DC?
- 13 Will an alternator charge at low rpm?
- 14 Can I use an alternator for a wind turbine?
Can you run an alternator with an electric motor?
You can use a DC motor to drive an alternator in order to invert a DC energy supply into AC. But you would be setting up a system with needless mechanical complexity. It would not be economical to needlessly drive an alternator by an electric motor. Magnetic force in an alternator causes a mechanical resistance.
How powerful is an alternator motor?
There are many 120+ amp alternators on trucks/SUVs, but that’s at approx 14 volts=approx 1700 watts. Any alternator can generate 120 volts if you spin it in its upper rev range and feed it max field current.
How do you make an alternator power?
- Step 1 – Choose the Right Alternator. The type you want to use for this project should be an older design, such as you might find in a scrap yard.
- Step 2 – Connect the Alternator. Connect the device to a 12-volt battery to provide stability in the system.
- Step 3 – Bolt the Alternator.
- Step 4 – Power it With Green Sources.
Can you use an alternator to generate electricity?
Yes, alternators generate electricity most efficiently when driven by an internal combustion engine. Their application in a motor vehicle is common. Also as a stationary power source to charge batteries for off the grid power. But you may be considering a wind driven alternator for off the grid power.
How do you make an electric motor more powerful?
We can increase the turning force (or torque) that the motor can create in three ways: either we can have a more powerful permanent magnet, or we can increase the electric current flowing through the wire, or we can make the coil so it has many “turns” (loops) of very thin wire instead of one “turn” of thick wire.
What is the minimum RPM of a 12v car alternator?
As was stated before, most alternators prefer a minimum speed of 2,400 rpm.
How much horsepower is required to turn an alternator?
How much power does it take to run an alternator? An alternator typically takes about 1 HP ( horse power ) for every 25 amps of power generated. So, a 100 amp alternator will require about 4 HP at full output. Most alternators do not operate at full output for very long.
Does it matter which direction an alternator spins?
Alternators are directional (technically). Having said that, it doesn’t matter what direction you turn them to the mechanicals of the alternator except for the cooling fan. Common automotive alternators produce synchronized (120 Degree intervals) 3 Phase AC Current.
What happens if you spin an alternator backwards?
It will probably burn out unless you change the pulley and fan. Those fan blades are angled to draw as much airflow through the alternator as possible. Turning backwards they will be fighting against the normal flow.
How much power can a car alternator produce?
But nowadays, a single alternator can produce power up to 2500 Watt, depending on the power demand. The power that can be produced by an alternator is determined by the alternator rating. The output of the alternator ranges from 40 Amp up to 120 Amp. For high-amp alternator, it can generate up to 300 Amp.
How much power does a alternator motor produce?
Most alternators put out between 60 to 200 amps. So be careful as It may appear to be a short to your house current. Use a remote switch.
Do alternators make AC or DC?
Car batteries operate on one-way direct current ( DC ) electricity, while alternators output alternating current ( AC ) electricity, which occasionally flows in reverse.  So prior to going to the voltage regulator, power intended for the battery goes through a diode rectifier to turn into DC.
Will an alternator charge at low rpm?
Alternator Does not charge at low RPM.
Can I use an alternator for a wind turbine?
You can use any vehicle alternator with a built-in voltage regulator. The fan is attached to the alternator using a 3-inch washer. You can use 1/2-inch galvanized pipe to make the generator bracket.